You need to backup your template every time you want to tinker with the code. Better yet always keep a latest version of your template stored in your PC.
Now that you understand the importance of having a template backup, let’s start doing it:
Backing up a template
- Log in to your Blogger account (if you haven’t logged in already).
- Go to Dashboard > Design > Edit HTML. Your screen will look like this:
- Click the Expand Widget Templates checkbox.
- Position your cursor inside the code window and right click and choose Select All.
- Copy the code and paste it in Notepad or other text editor. For the sake of this tutorial, let’s name the file MyTemplateBackup.txt.
- Keep the file in a safe place.
- That’s it, you’ve backed up your blog template!
Restoring a template
Now whenever you want to restore your template, simply
- Repeat step 1 to 3 above.
- Open MyTemplateBackup.txt., Select All and copy.
- Position cursor inside your template code window, right click and Select All.
- Click Paste. The template code will be replaced by the code from MyTemplateBackup.txt.
- … and your template is restored.